- Cd & Cd ..: where cd will take you to directory specified and cd .. will take you to the parent directory these commands are just like we have in windows.
- ls commands: Windows equivalent of ls is dir but ls is way to powerful than dir command
for example: you can use ls [-l] option to see in the list view with permissions and ownershipf of file or folder.
- Chmod - this lets you change the permission on the file or a folder, however to execute you must know the admin password. so to execute as admisitrator you will use:
sudo chmod ugoa+wrx <filename>
- chown - this command will change the ownership of any file or folder and just like in chmod you would need administrator password to change ownership on some file or folder.
- rm removes a file and if you want to remove files inside some folder then you will use rm [-rf] recursively remove files form a folder.
In some cases you are standing at location like /usr/autodesk/mudbox to change , remove or for any file operation like even copy(cp) or move(mv) you would have to use sudo before the command and you will be prompted with the password and the command gets executed. Here are few more commads
- uname : tells you information about the OS and its version
- type : tells you the what type of file it is :usage:type <filename>
- touch: create a file.
Recently I switched to Ubuntu, and its really been fun. I bet you would never enjoy on windows that much what you will enjoy on Ubuntu, however their are some important commands that can be useful for anyone who uses Linux based OS, although its just like executing commands on Windows Dos prompt but in Ubuntu or Fedora you execute commands on Terminal.
Other Blogs & Pages
Animation & VFX SitesA MUST READ for Ani/VFX Artists
awakened by thoughts,