To set up a proper docker registry would mean the developers who uses images do not pull themselves from docker. Instead they request a departnment to pull the base docker image from docker hub on internet. Lets assume the systems department pulls base docker images do host docker01. This means docker01 machine has access to internet but software developers who need to use docker images can pull from docker01 on there workstations running docker or a dedicated host running docker and acting as private docker registry. In my case i am going to use docker02 host machine to host private docker registry.
- docker01 is machine connects to internet
- docker02 machine is on internal network of organisation
- root@docker01: docker pull hello-world (pull image from docker hub )
- root@docker01: docker tag hello-world docker02:5000/myworld
- root@docker01: docker push docker02:5000/myworld